Jim Beckner Bio
Jim Beckner is a well-known local historian and re-enactor. Jim is a retired school teacher and coach. He taught American History, economics, psychology, and drivers education at Grandview High School for over 30 years. Jim also coached football, basketball, and golf.
Jim served as president of the Civil War Round Table of Kansas City in 2000 and is currently a member of the Civil War Round Table of Western Missouri. He has been a Civil War re-enactor for over 30 years. Jim is a member of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War and the Sons of Confederate Veterans.
Some of the many organizations that Jim has spoken to include the following:
- 2010 - The Civil War Round Table of Kansas City. Jim gave a presentation titled: "The Old Confederate Homes."
- 2012 - UMKC teacher workshop titled: "Crossroads of Conflict: Contested Visions of Freedom and the Missouri-Kansas Border Wars."
- 2012 - Cass County Public Library program titled: "Santa Through the Ages." Jim spoke about the Christmas traditions of the 1850's and 1860's including trees, cards, gifts, food, and Santa Claus of 150 years ago.
- 2013 - Independence MO Civil War Study Group. Jim spoke about Missouri secession flags.
- 2015 - Annual ceremony at the Confederate Memorial State Historic Site, where an old soldiers home once operated.
- 2015 - Trailside Center, Kansas City MO. Jim portrayed Jim Bridger, famous American mountain man, trapper, Army scout, and wilderness guide.
- 2016 - Lone Jack MO Civil War Battlefield. Jim gave the commemoration speech.
Jim and his wife Judi have been married for 54 years and live in Raymore MO.